I looked at my other data to see if there are other signs, but they are quite contradictory:
- Concurrent users online shows a very strong growth, and we could even reach 15 million very soon.
- Number of purchase orders doesn’t seem to have an increased growth pattern.
- There is since September a downward trend in Skype.com website visits.
What other reasons could explain the growth?
- The economical crisis could be one motivation for people to use the “free calls” from Skype.
- Perhaps the “Obama Election campaign” is another explanation of the phenomenon: indeed some “Obama teams” used Skype, see the Skype blogs: US Elections: Skype gets out the vote.